Monday, March 15, 2010

Seattle Really Sucks

I am starting this blog because well I had nowhere else to go. The I Hate Seattle site is dominated by the very kind of person she rages about. A truly angry and unhappy person I fear becoming since moving back here.

I hear a lot about the natives of Seattle. They are clearly an urban myth or well have faded so into the woodwork they are invisible. Some of the localites are pretty easy to recognize. Over 40 overweight, unattractive, self involved, lacking in intelligence and prone to wearing fleece usually emblazoned with a sports logo of some kind. Conversation starters usually begin with "where did you go to high school?" Or "how about those dawgs/cougs/hawks" I am never quite sure if they are talking about the Westminster Kennel Club, a woman of a certain age dating a younger man or the Eagles, as in birds not the group.

When you profess ignorance or desire to not digress your conversation back to the 70s where they are still clearly ensconced, the weather is next up and by then you see the ubiquitous glazing of eyes the distancing of the stare over your head somewhere and an immediate desire to end the coversation on their part. Familiarity breeds contempt and in this case familiarity does not even occur and the contempt has already begun.

I call it a type of social retardation. Back in the 70s the popular Andy Rooney-lite columnist was Emmet Watson. He raged against the "Californication" of Seattle and started a KBO - Keep the Bastards Out" acronym. The fear was rising property taxes/prices, increased traffic and people who were well friendly.

They came, they saw how bad it was and left. Yes the weather brings you down but the quality of life and the people who live here are the real culprits.

Seattle has not been a haven of natives for quite some time. It is 60% transplants. And not interesting urban transplants from cool urban cities like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Miami... no from Rochester Montana, Blaine Washington, Quilchut and other really dying or dead cities. The ones from the urban havens that are here are pretty horrified, stay to themselves, complain and I assume leave. I never really meet them except on occasion and I think they have resigned themselves to a life of isolation and desperation.

Its the place I live now.

The point of this blog is to rage against this city that yes I grew up in but more to remind people that they are not alone. This place is really really bad. And there are really really bad elements to every city but this one well it has all the elements of total negativity. Not a positive element within it. Sorry but this much is true.

Now for the haters of well haters like myself GET YOUR OWN BLOG or go harass the sad and crazy "heartbroken" at I Hate Seattle. I well aware of the thin skinness and denial that the "locals" have about their version of Nirvana. Well that band is dead and so is this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment